Lisa Lund, CRC, MFT
Master Certified Gottman Therapist
Couples Workshop Leader
8:30 am - 8:50 am: Registration Check-In
9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Level 1 Workshop
(Lunch on your own)
The Research - What Makes Relationships Succeed or Fail?
• What is different about Gottman Method Couples Therapy
• What is dysfunctional about relationships when they are ailing
• The “Masters” and Disasters” of relationships: Exploding some common myths
• Negative and positive sentiment overrides
• Friendship, Inimacy, Positive Affect System
• The Shared Meaning System
• The Sound Relationship House Theory
The Assessment Sessions
Session 1 - Assessing the Couple Together
• Couple’s Narrative
• Oral History Interview
• Videotape: A 10 minute Conflict Interaction
• Ending Session 1 - Preparing Couple for Individual Sessions - No secrets
• Assessment: Written Questionnaires
Session 2 - Individual Sessions
Session 3 - The Therapeutic Contract:
• Discussing and Deciding about Goals.
• Summary of Strengths and Areas that Need Improvement.
• Assessment and film.
Day One Conclusion - Q and A
9:00 am - 5:00 pm: Workshop
(Lunch on your own)
Introduction to Intervention
• Assumptions of the Therapy
• Overview of the Therapy
• Goals of the Therapy
• Rapoport Intervention and film
• Ending the Four Horsemen and film
• Dreams Within Conflict and film
• Building the Basic Skills (Softened Start-up, Accepting Influence, Repair and De-escalation,
Physiological Soothing, Compromise)
• Aftermath of a Fight and film
Building Friendship and Shared Meaning
• Build Love Maps and film
• Turn Towards: The Stress-Reducing Conversation and film
• Build Rituals of Connection and film
• Create Shared Meaning and film
Process of the Therapy
• Structure of a Typical Session
• What the Therapist Can Say
• The Domino Theory of Emotion
• What’s Next: Additional Training
• Workshop Conclusion - Q and A
Participants will be able to:
1. Summarize the research that allows prediction of future relationship stability with 94% accuracy
2. Describe the seven levels of the Sound Relationship House theory
3. Conduct a couple's therapy assessment using elements of the couple's narrative, the Oral History
Interview, written questionnaires, observations of conflict, and individual interviews
4. Describe two interventions for each: to help strengthen a couple's management of conflict; to enhance a
couple's friendship system; and to explore a couple's system of shared meaning.
Who Should Attend?
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from our training:
• Mental health providers
• Allied professionals and clergy
• Students and interns
• Family clinic staff
• Professors/teachers of couples therapy
• Researchers in the social sciences
• Employee assistance professionals
Note: For More Info on Continuing Education Credits - CE Credits - CE’s -
Learn more about your presenter -
Go to Level 1 Registration Information Page -
Payment plans available thru PayPal!
See Registration page for details!
These Level 1 workshops are presented in a “Professional Retreat” setting just minutes north of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge at the SF Theological in San Anselmo. Please see registration for venue photo’s and more information.
Level 1 Workshop Outline and Objectives... Who Should Attend
The Gottman Method...
Integrate research-based methods to maximize your competence and inspire transformation.
Receive a 300-page
Clinical Manual featuring
new relationship assessment questionnaires and clinical interventions - a $150 value.
See on film
Dr. Julie Gottman
use all of the main
a real couple.
Receive a certificate of completion from the
For those interested in
pursuing Gottman certification,
this 2-day workshop fulfills
the Level 1 requirement.